Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating When to use preservative?

• When to use preservative?

Posted by NatalieRose on October 29, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I want to create a moisturizer for the lips using rose hip oil, aloe extract, vitamin E, and silica. Will I need to add a preservative to prevent this product from going bad? I am aware that vitamin E is an antioxidant and I know that products with aqueous ingredients need preservative, but are there any other factors that indicate I need it?

johnb replied 7 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Sunstone

October 30, 2016 at 7:31 pm

You should always use preservatives. The risk of not using them and someone getting seriously hurt is simply too high.

• bobzchemist

October 31, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Everything you make needs a preservative system. Always.

• johnb

October 31, 2016 at 3:15 pm

When I was a starter in this game, a development manager insisted that all his staff realised the importance of having products adequately preserved.

To this end he arranged demonstrations of the microbial viability of the muck and grime found in the bottom of make-up bags, pockets, in the folds of wallets and other places dirt collected.

After a few days culture the swabs we were required to identify the organisms that had grown and their potential for causing infections and disease.

If anyone has any doubts about the necessity for antimicrobials, do a few checks yourself.

Even anhydrous products can carry spores ready to be activated when conditions allow.