Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Where’s the hold

• Where’s the hold

Posted by gmagerr on October 24, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Hi All,

I am making a water based pomade. I heat my water and oils separately at 160 degrees for 20 minutes. Emulsification is working perfectly, product is not separating. I am adding Carboxymethyl Cellulose (CMC) after emulsification with the intention that this will give the product hold. I am using beeswax as well, but don’t want to use too much as it will be too difficult to wash out. I’m using about 15% beeswax. Anyway, the purpose for the CMC was to be a substitute for PVP. I looked for PVP alternatives, and found Gum Arabic and CMC. I must be doing something wrong, or misunderstanding what CMC is supposed to be doing. As a thickener, it’s great, but it adds no stickyness, which is what I’m looking for. Any suggestions?

Thanks     

david replied 7 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • belassi

October 24, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Just a note, which is to say, we use degrees Celsius in chemistry. Unfortunately I can’t help with your problem since it’s an area outside my experience.

• bill_toge

October 25, 2016 at 12:52 pm

what you need is a film-forming resin, which gum arabic and CMC are not

most resins suitable for haircare are related to PVP, and many of them have no effect on viscosity at all

• gmagerr

October 25, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Thanks Bill, Anything other than PVP that will do the trick? Something easy to purchase online maybe?

Thanks

• bobzchemist

October 25, 2016 at 2:58 pm

There are plenty of alternatives, but they’re all almost impossible to buy online, since they are for professionals/corporations.

What are you trying to accomplish with your pomade project?

• gmagerr

October 25, 2016 at 3:03 pm

I’m basically making it for myself, maybe give it to a few friends. It’s a creative outlet, I like making it and would like for it to have more hold like commercial products.

• johnb

October 25, 2016 at 3:21 pm

PVP K30 is available on eBay USA where is is called povidone (not povidone iodine) and UK (as PVP).

• bill_toge

October 25, 2016 at 8:53 pm

you could also try alibaba.com; a number of suppliers claim to sell in lots of 1kg or less, and some claim to sell VP/VA copolymer too, in similar quantities (these are the two generic non-proprietary resins widely used in this kind of product)

as always, be wary when ordering things from China!

• david

October 26, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Why not PVP?