Sedal formula - Cosmetic Science Talk

Sedal formula

My daughter uses this in preference to my own more complicated formula! Perhaps someone would like to suggest starting percentages? I've given mine.
water (approx. 80%)
cetearyl alcohol (10%?)
dimethicone (2%?)
stearamidopropyl dimethylamine (2%?)
behentrimonium chloride (2%?)
citric acid (q/s for pH=5)
(the rest is fragrance, preservatives, and marketing ingredients with practically zero% content)

and can I substitute cetrimonium chloride for the behentrimonium chloride?

Special interests: anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; sulphate-free shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics.

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Behentrimonium chloride (C22) has much better conditioning properties than cetrimonium chloride (C16).
  • I'd start with 5% cetearyl alcohol rather than 10, unless it's incredibly thick

behentrimonium chloride has a higher melting point than cetrimonium chloride, and it forms more stable emulsions
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • These ingredients are difficult to find here. Except for the cetearyl of course. I have cetrimonium but behentrimonium is only obtainable from Unobtanium Ltd. And the Shercine S, that's a Lubrizol product but I can't find it anywhere.

Special interests: anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; sulphate-free shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics.
  • belassi in Mexico sells behentrimonium chloride, it cost almost 3 times more than cetrimonium