pH of Decyl Glucoside - Cosmetic Science Talk

pH of Decyl Glucoside

Does anyone know why the pH of decyl glucoside is so high? According to the specs., the pH of a 10% solution is between 11.5 and 12.5.
I wonder if it is just to avoid a preservative.

Comments

• No, it is not manipulated to that pH, that is the natural pH of the raw material as supplied. This is one reason it is important to adjust the pH when using APG's.

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • I keep wondering why I put cocamidopropyl betaine, decyl glucoside and peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, the solution seems getting thicker? Does any chemical reaction happen?
  • no chemical reaction but after neutralizing DG to 6-7 should be stable and if not buffer.
  • I try the experiment again, becher 1 with cocamidopropyl betaine and peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, becher 2 with cocamidopropyl betaine and decyl glucoside, both of them became translucent and thick. Then I put them under the heat, becher 1 becomes thinner while becher 2 solidifies. Please help me to explain these. 
  • Heaven only knows what is going on with surfactants once you get outside the accepted range of doing things. I went through a stage early on like you are experiencing. One day I accidentally made several "bowling balls" of surfactant mixtures, just like rubber. Spherical and bouncy.
    Design of anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics. In-house label and box design capability.