Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General pH of Decyl Glucoside

• pH of Decyl Glucoside

Posted by Ruben on October 18, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Does anyone know why the pH of decyl glucoside is so high? According to the specs., the pH of a 10% solution is between 11.5 and 12.5.
    I wonder if it is just to avoid a preservative.

belassi replied 6 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • microformulation

October 18, 2016 at 9:12 pm

No, it is not manipulated to that pH, that is the natural pH of the raw material as supplied. This is one reason it is important to adjust the pH when using APG’s.

• phuongquynh1993

October 16, 2017 at 8:51 am

I keep wondering why I put cocamidopropyl betaine, decyl glucoside and peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, the solution seems getting thicker? Does any chemical reaction happen?

• drbobverdient-biz

October 16, 2017 at 2:45 pm

no chemical reaction but after neutralizing DG to 6-7 should be stable and if not buffer.

• phuongquynh1993

October 17, 2017 at 2:17 am

I try the experiment again, becher 1 with cocamidopropyl betaine and peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, becher 2 with cocamidopropyl betaine and decyl glucoside, both of them became translucent and thick. Then I put them under the heat, becher 1 becomes thinner while becher 2 solidifies. Please help me to explain these. 

• belassi

October 17, 2017 at 3:24 am

Heaven only knows what is going on with surfactants once you get outside the accepted range of doing things. I went through a stage early on like you are experiencing. One day I accidentally made several “bowling balls” of surfactant mixtures, just like rubber. Spherical and bouncy.