Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Resources Pressing Phase : Pressing Stamp

• bobzchemist

October 12, 2016 at 12:07 am

What are you trying to do?

• Shymb28

October 12, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Hey Bob, by the way thank you for advice. Ive come up with another formula and its great. 

Okay so I am down to the pressing stages with my powders.  Right when they are in the pan I want there to be a symbol or design that is embedded into the product. Now I know within due time once the product is used the Design/logo will be non existent.  I am just looking for there to be a design symbol, something that makes it distinctive to the client. I’ve attached a link to a product that looks as what I am describing. 

http://i01.hsncdn.com/is/image/HomeShoppingNetwork/prodfull/jay-manuel-beauty-soft-focus-powder-blush-escape-d-20150313144124803~405434.jpg

• belassi

October 12, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Machine shop job. Or an engraver. Depending on the degree of detail required.

• Shymb28

October 12, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Thanks for the response Belassi. I am fairly new into this is there anything else other than a machine I can use even if i have to do it manual. I brought from a website “Pressing ribbon” and I can manually do this into the press powders. But as I searched to see if there is anything out there with a different pattern or design it seems I cant find anything.

• belassi

October 12, 2016 at 9:05 pm

1. Do you have a logo and if so is it trademarked. If not then that is the first thing to do.
    2. Take your logo to a 3-D design professional and have it made into a 3-D drawing.
    3. Take your 3-D drawing to a printing company - one that prints in sintered metal - and have them print it with a backing the correct size and shape for the stamp.
    There are alternative methods using older technology but this is about the simplest.

• bobzchemist

October 12, 2016 at 9:23 pm

When you make a pressed powder, you need a real press to apply several hundred psi, or your powder will not stay in the pan. Something like this manual one from Carver will work, but it’s very slow:
    Manual bench top lab presses

You will also need a pressed powder mold+ram, like this one:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/26mm-Compact-Powder-or-Eyeshadow-Pressed-Mold/32604969383.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.23.K82vjO 

The ram can be possibly be engraved deeply enough to leave a simple design in the powder, but it will be costly.

You can’t do this by hand without a press and get consistent results.

• Shymb28

October 14, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Belassi thank you I have began looking into it.

• Shymb28

October 14, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Hey Bob,

After your response I look into few other places even found a few places outsourced that sells the equipment.  Unfortunately for now to cut my cost I am going to withhold for that FOR NOW. I’m doing everything by hand now just so i can get an Idea on what needs to be done etc, Now i’m not doing in major batch sizes. So I am okay with the process of manually hand pressing it. Its more then the less for me to get the idea of my next move. But I have received quotes, and sometime next year I will be buying the equipment.

• bobzchemist

October 17, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Good for you. If you can get the right mold, with some creative tinkering using one of these presses in the lab can give you an approximation of what a hydraulic press can do. The trick is to always press with the same amount of duration and force.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html