Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hydroquinone and Tretinoin

• johnb

October 8, 2016 at 8:23 am

I never expected hydroquinone and tretinoin to appear in the same sentence as astringent.

Can you clarify? As far as I am aware, hydroquinone is used as a skin bleaching agent (banned in a number of countries) and tretinoin is a drug for the treatment of acne.

• crisbaysauli

October 10, 2016 at 7:27 am

@johnb in the ASEAN market there exists liquid preparations that are used as peeling toners containing HQ and tret. These can be bought without any prescription from a medical practitioner. I was wondering if this is the same case in the US and in EU.

• johnb

October 10, 2016 at 8:29 am

I am very surprised that potentially powerful drugs such as these are used for this purpose.

You state these can be bought “without any prescription from a medical practitioner”. Well, whether with a prescription or not, that puts them outside the field of being cosmetics.

I have just made a quick Google of these two materials in a mixture - most of the previously available products are discontinued or reformulated. I doubt there is any chance that rules will be relaxed in EU or USA.

• microformulation

October 10, 2016 at 9:45 am

I do know that they are not an approved combination in the US. Hydroquinone at less than 2% is an OTC Drug for Skin Lightening. Tretinoin (a very specific compound different from retinol) is a “legend” drug and requires a prescription.

• crisbaysauli

October 11, 2016 at 1:32 am

Thank you for your inputs. I guess I have to convince my boss to move on from this combination and try new materials.

• bobzchemist

October 11, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I’d suggest an AHA and/or BHA with Trehalose.

(Warning: really bad pun and old movie reference - What is the Three Stooges favorite cosmetic raw material? Trehalose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGtMwU8wDmc )