Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Adjusting cream shampoo

• Adjusting cream shampoo

Posted by Anonymous on September 27, 2016 at 4:42 am

Recently developed a cream shampoo and performed decently in Lab stability. When manufacturing produced it, the product came out to thick. Is there a general ingredient that could be used to lower viscosity besides adding back water?

oldperry replied 7 years, 5 months ago 7 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • crisbaysauli

September 27, 2016 at 7:40 am

Hi Gooch. Can you indicate the ingredient list here?

• johnb

September 27, 2016 at 7:49 am

This is an extremely common problem - the differences produced by scale-up from lab to manufacturing scale.

• bobzchemist

September 27, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Unless you’ve got the entire batch in a tank or in storage waiting to be adjusted, rather than add water, which will lower the % of all the other ingredients, I’d cut back on just the ingredients that are thickening your batch.

If it’s a standard salt-thickening formula and there’s no other thickener, just use less salt next time.

If you are trying to adjust the first batch that’s too thick, you might want to try adding more of your primary surfactant and water, rather than just water. Of course, test this on a lab scale first.

• Anonymous

September 28, 2016 at 4:32 am

Coca. Betaine, and Coca. Hydroxysultaine are the main surfactants.

• davidw

September 28, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Experiment by adding some polysorbate 20 or some propylene glycol.  IF you go with propylene glycol and add too much you want to check foaming of product

• belassi

September 29, 2016 at 4:13 am

If the blend is salt-thickening, I would have thought the obvious thing would be to carefully increase the salt level so as to take it past the peak of the curve and into less viscosity. Or alternatively add / increase CDEA content.

• bobzchemist

September 29, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Of course it’s obvious after you tell us about it, @Belassi, but I didn’t think of it - I’m always focused on staying below the peak of the curve. Great idea!

• johnb

September 29, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Going past the peak of the salt curve then increases to potential for physical instability and separation.

• ozgirl

October 2, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Another option might be to make a small batch with no thickener and use this to adjust the high viscosity batch.

• oldperry

October 3, 2016 at 7:23 pm