Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating How to Create a CLEAR Lipstick?

• How to Create a CLEAR Lipstick?

Posted by NatalieRose on September 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Hi Everyone,
    I want to create a clear lipstick. Clear as in no color (not white), and in a standard lipstick tube. The formula needs to be able to go in a mold. I have the ingredients, I just don’t know how to put them together. The ingredients are:
    Mineral Oil, Octyldodecanol, Isostearyl Palmitate, Dibutyl Lauroyl Glutamide, Butylene/Ethylene/ Styrene Copolymer, Dibutyl Ethylhaxenoyl Glutamide, BHT, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Ethylene/ Propylene/ Styrene Copolymer, Citric Acid

An Etsy shop has these for sale, so excuse me if I am wrong but, these can’t be TOO difficult to create. I already contacted a site that offers formulating services, but I just wanted to post on here to see what other information I can get. Thank you!

NatalieRose replied 7 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ssdc

September 7, 2016 at 1:56 am

You should first dissolve the glutamides in an oil. Becareful with the oil you choose it should be stable because glutamides dissolve at a very high temperature (120 deg C). Once it is dissolve mix with other ingredient at about 80 deg C while stirring. Then pour it into the lipstick mold. Glutamide thickens the oil very quickly so you should complete the process fast before it hardens

• bobzchemist

September 7, 2016 at 1:41 pm

@ssdc has it right. There is also a very short window to pour this stuff before it starts turning yellow - pour into molds as fast as you can. 

• NatalieRose

September 8, 2016 at 1:23 am

Thank you @ssdc and @Bobzchemist for the info. What oil should I use? Would you happen to know the percentages I should put in of each ingredient? Also, can I use a microwave to melt/dissolve the ingredients or should I use a hot plate?

• bobzchemist

September 9, 2016 at 1:43 pm

https://www.ulprospector.com/en/eu/PersonalCare/Detail/1409/371102/Clear-Plumping-and-Moisturizing-Lipstick-Formulation-C2679

https://www.ulprospector.com/en/na/PersonalCare/Detail/134/373045/Clear-Plumping-and-Moisturizing-Lipstick-Formulation-MU-102

However, judging by the questions you asked, you have little to no experience. Clear lipstick is much, much harder to make properly than regular lipstick or lipgloss. Also, the temperatures required can be dangerous! I would strongly advise you to stay away from these formulations until you have 6-8 months of experience putting together regular lipsticks.

Otherwise, you will just be wasting your time, materials and money.

• NatalieRose

September 9, 2016 at 10:15 pm

@Bobzchemist you are right! I will not be making these any time soon, I definitely will wait until I gain more experience with creating lipsticks.