Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Water Based Pomade - Carbomer?

• Water Based Pomade - Carbomer?

Posted by Anonymous on August 12, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Hi Guys,

I am looking at formulating a water based hair pomade, similar viscosity to the Layrite, Upper Cut or Muk Slick (all brands of current popular hair pomades). Effectively they are more like gels, with an extremely sticky and thick viscosity. I was heading down the carbomer route, however all references are showing a thickness more like standard hair gel. Any ideas?

david08848 replied 7 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • bill_toge

August 13, 2016 at 11:38 pm

those products owe their texture and viscosity to large amounts of ceteareth-25 or other long-chain fatty alcohol ethoxylates; for this reason, they are very different to carbomer gels

• Anonymous

August 15, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Thanks Bill.. 

How would you suggest i replicate this in a home environment..  any suggestions on how to formulate a product like this?

• Anonymous

August 16, 2016 at 2:16 am

I am not familiar with these particular products but I have had to reproduce a few product that is similar to your description.  They used “Water, Propylene Glycol, Ceteareth 25, Petrolatum, Copolymer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20” along with a lot of minor ingredients. You may want to start your journey there. Good luck.

• billichemist

September 22, 2016 at 5:16 am

what is the difference in hold if you use ceteareath 20 to 30 as compared to cetearth 25?

• david08848

September 22, 2016 at 6:06 pm

The first thing I would do is to get ingredients lists for all of the products you mentioned and see what they are using to make the kind of product that you wish to make.  You can also look online for sample formulations for this type of product and see what you can find!