Hair Spray, Two-Layer - Cosmetic Science Talk

Hair Spray, Two-Layer

edited August 2016 in Formulating
hi,
I want to make a tow layers hair spray ( milky and clear).
I tried a lot but I do not know why it was not stable? after 1 hour it became 3 layers.

Whould you  mind helping me abaut that?
thank you.

Comments

• What is your formula?  Please include all ingredients and percents.
  • edited August 2016
    Thanks for your replay,

Cyclopentasiloxane          19%
    Phenyl Trimethicone         3%
    Argan oil                          1%

Aqua
    Sodium chloride               1%
    Cetrimonium chloride       1.6
    PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate     1%
    Cocamidopropyl betaine   0.4
    NaPCA 1                           1
    Silicone Quaternium-18,Trideceth-6 ,Trideceth-12   2%
    Hydrolyzed Keratin PG-Propyl Methylsilanediol         1%
    Preservative   0.1
  • If you place a batch in a graduated cylinder and observe the relative quantities of the 3 layers then compare to your formula, you should be able to get a good idea of what's happening. I suspect you have layers of vegetable oil, silicones, and water.
    Special interests: anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; sulphate-free shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics.
  • Thanks for your replay,

I am going to check it.. But I do not know what equipment and machinery are used for this process? whould you please give me some information about that?

thank you.
  • You never took basic chemistry class at school? Never did physics (measurement of an object's density)? Google it.
    Special interests: anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; sulphate-free shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics.
  •  Mr. Belassi,

I think, you misunderstood.
    As you suggested me : ( If you place a batch in a graduated cylinder and observe the relative quantities of the 3 layers then compare to your formula, you should be able to get a good idea of what's happening. I suspect you have layers of vegetable oil, silicones, and water)

I checked that and my problem was solved. Now I want to produce this product in a pilot plant but I do not know what equipment and machinery are used for that?

by the way, I studied organic chemistry in MSc degree.

• You will need to talk to someone with large scale experience. Sorry I can't help with that.
  • @Perry : Whould you help me?
  • @Belassi : Thank you...

@Perry : Would you mind helping me?
  • That really depends on batch size and space available.  See this discussion of equipment.
    http://chemistscorner.com/cosmeticsciencetalk/discussion/comment/1041/
  • @Perry , @jerry :
    I am going to manufacture a batch of two phases hair spray up to 500 kilos . I think, special equipment are used for that, So, I need more information about the manufacturing process and the required equipment.

• Seems to be a simple formulation in terms of processing so I suppose you can use a normal mixer. Eventually the batch is going to separate in 2 phases though while filling you make sure that the batch is continuously under mixing for favorable results. 
  • @chemist:
    thank you for your reply,
    for processing yes I agree with you, we can use a normal mixer but I do not know when I want to fill the bottles what should I do? so I think we have to use special mixer for that.

• edited August 2016
    at my old place we used to make and fill two-phase mouthwash; each phase was made and filled separately, as trying to fill the mixed product would have been far too complicated and impractical
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • I did the same as Bill_Toge.
  • I'm going to agree with Bill also - the chances for variability in phase volume when trying to fill a 2-phase product all at once are high. Fill each phase separately, and you won't need special equipment either.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • the formula is ok, only add a emulsifier to the oil phase, al least 3 %,  and you will get a pretty milky fase above,  and the water fase is clear,    the filling is not a problem , beacause this formula in the first separation times it takes a lot o time,  so you only have to stirr while you fill