Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Where to find glyoxylic acid

Tagged: 

• Where to find glyoxylic acid

Posted by ADAMODEH1983 on July 26, 2016 at 8:26 am

Hi guys 
    Im from South Africa and looking for Glyoxylic Acid  but i cant find it,i need it to make an hair treatment formula for curly and frizzy hair,
    can i prepare it my self,what i found after searching its a compound of 2 chemicals!
    plz if any one can help .

david replied 7 years, 3 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • bill_toge

July 26, 2016 at 12:00 pm

you might be able to make it; can you get hold of maleic acid, and do you have the equipment to carry out an ozonolysis reaction?

• ADAMODEH1983

July 27, 2016 at 10:14 am

hi Bill 
    yes i can get maleic acid,but what equipment i need?

• Zolveria

August 2, 2016 at 1:10 am

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Glycolic-Acid_p_1100.html
    for small home production they also see pails. hopes this helpss

• ADAMODEH1983

August 5, 2016 at 7:08 am

thank you Zolveria
    what im looking for is Glyoxylic Acid its not same as Glycolic Acid.

• Anonymous

December 20, 2016 at 9:29 pm

do you have experience with glyoxylic acid in hair relaxing ? if u use it befor ?

• belassi

December 20, 2016 at 11:40 pm

I do. I am developing a product. But if you want to ask a question you need to start a new thread.

• davidw

December 21, 2016 at 2:02 am

I believe it is the main ingredient in some formaldehyde free “actives” .  I think a chemyunion and something called Proliss

• johnb

December 21, 2016 at 10:17 am

To baldly state that glyoxylic acid is “a compound of two chemicals” shows a fundamental lack of understanding of chemistry. Ozonolysis (as suggested by Bill, but I don’t think he was serious in his suggestion) is a particularly dangerous synthetic procedure - even for those with knowledge and experience.

I always take the view that if a raw material is difficult/impossible to obtain for development work then the likelihood of it being available in commercially useful quantities is zero.

I then start looking at a new approach.

• david

December 21, 2016 at 10:45 am

google south africa:
    http://www.minema.co.za/Main.asp?D=%7B025A878B-4A13-4A25-89A2-4EF28749623F%7D&PageType=Product&CategoryID=432&SKU=G7400GG