Precipitate and Separation

AllHairAllHair Member
Hi, I have a background in research chemistry and chemical engineering, but my work is in environmental applications.  My cosmetic chemistry background is limited, so please bear with me if what I am saying comes off as very basic.  I'd like some guidance on what I might try to tackle this problem.  

I've got a detangler that has been likely made by cold mix methods (guessing on this).  It actually works very well, it's not greasy to feel, not a lot of slip, and seems to work by softening.  It's milky and slightly lumpy when in solution.  It must be shaken and on sitting for a day or so will result in the solution to separate into it's oil and aqueous layers, with a precipitate forming in the aqueous layer.  The ingredients are deionized water, dimethicone, Argan Oil, petroleum, mineral oil, cetearyl alcohol, pyrus malus extract, c12-15 alkylbenzoate, hydrolyzed silk and corn proteins.  I do not know % and I am personally not finding a base that was tweaked to create this.  I'd like to do a better job with these ingredients, and fix it to have emulsion properties.  Could someone shed some light on what may be going on with this solution?  Thank you!

Comments

• MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    Is the product yours? If so, you would need to post percentages so that helpful experts in here could weigh-in.

If it isn't yours, I would ditch it all (as it seems to be an unstable Formulation) and start from scratch.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    You can make a pretty decent detangler quickly and simply from only three ingredients:

Water......................97%
    Croda Rejuvasoft......3%
    Preservative..............1%

I'm actually really surprised that the DIY websites haven't picked up on Rejuvasoft yet. It's essentially a pre-mixed, solid conditioner at 6% and a detangler at 2%.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • I do not know the percentages in the mixture.  One guess is there is an imbalance with the cetearyl alcohol.  And Bob, thank you for the Croda tip.  Why I am asking about this mix is it works on major tangles, like in a horse mane.  
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    there's no (declared) emulsifier, it's not surprising it separates
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    I do agree. The lack of an emulsifier is what I was obliquely referring to when I said it wasn't a stable Formulation. Scrap all that and try Bob's formulation. It will be easier and require less knowledge of the raw materials.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • Thank you so much for your input!  And I will try that if I can get over the ULProspector membership hurdle or will call Croda direct.

• I do have a question still and I do understand and appreciate the simpler suggestion.  Can someone explain why this mixture would work so well?  It works better for detangling than any other product I have tried or other solutions I have experimented with.