Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating trouble incorporating geogard sodium benzoate and gluconolactone

• trouble incorporating geogard sodium benzoate and gluconolactone

Posted by Anonymous on March 25, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Hi everyone,

Please could you tell me whether any of you guys have had any trouble incorporating geogard into your solutions?
    We were formulating with it for quite a while, but noticed that in our tonics (toners) after approximately 5 days of use, the geogard was separating out of solution and forming crystals.
    We have performed several experiments to ascertain that it is the geogard separating out - and it definitely is.
    We have tried making a 5% solution prior to adding our required amount into our product (this hasn’t worked as the geogard formed crystals within the water alone after a few hours. We have tried mechanical high-shear mixing (with a stick blender), slowly adding the geogard to the water whilst simply stirring with a spoon, and finally both of these last 2 combined (adding slowly whilst stirring, then mechanically mixing for approx. 5 mins).
    We have also tried different temps to see how this affects the solubility (geogard is expected to be heat stable up to 80 degrees C), so we have tried adding it to water at 40, 50, 60, 70 and even 75.
    We pour our tonics into dark amber glass bottles, cover them with cling film for the night, then put the little sprayer tops on (as we thought maybe this would stop the crystals from attaching onto the spout), but even this only helps for a few days then as soon as you spray them, approx. 5 days after use, the crystals form.
    We really don’t want to use a solubiliser as we really only want to use minimal ingredients.
    The other ingredients (other then geogard and steam distilled water) are 2 hydrosols, 2 extracts and aloe vera 200:1 concentrate powder.
    Greatly appreciate any suggestions.
    Ps; our emulsion products appear fine - no crystals blocking spout and they have a lovely smooth feel to them too, it is just the tonics. Please help.
    belassi replied 9 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • chemicalmatt

March 26, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Kim, assuming there is no SDA (ethanol) in this toner, and the pH is in the 5.6 - 6.5 range, why not switch to Geogard 221 (benzyl alcohol & dehydroacetic acid)? Safety profile and regulatory status is the same.

• davidw

March 26, 2014 at 3:41 pm

@kimlewinreilly  Do you have a source for D-Gluconotactone?

• Anonymous

March 26, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Hi Matt,
    Is Geogard 221 easier to incorporate? We have performed quite extensive research prior to buying geogard ultra and really want to persevere with it as it has a good label appeal and is readily available here in Australia, plus now we have quite a lot of it. Is there something we’re missing/doing wrong here? I can’t find evidence anywhere of other formulations having trouble with it in this way.
    I should note too that our extracts we use within the formulation have glycerine in them which should help the geogard to stay in solution, is that correct?
    David W do you mean can we find a supplier for D-gluconolactone in Australia? If we can, what is the benefit of this? Would it be a replacement for the geogard?
    Sorry such long posts.
    Thanks for helping us, please keep suggestions coming.

• davidw

March 26, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I didn’t realize you were in Australia.  I am looking for Gluconolactone and the title of your post was:
    “trouble incorporating geogard sodium benzoate and gluconolactone”  I thought you were working with it.  I can’t find anyone who has it.

• bobzchemist

March 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Have you asked Lonza technical service? They are helpful sometimes.

• bobzchemist

March 26, 2014 at 8:14 pm
  • bobzchemist

March 26, 2014 at 8:20 pm
  • Anonymous

March 26, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Thanks guys,

Just contacting the lonza technical department now, awaiting response.
    Have any of you formulated with geogard ultra previously?
  • davidw

March 27, 2014 at 9:54 am

Thanks Bob

• davidw

March 27, 2014 at 9:57 am

Thanks Bob

• markbroussard

November 3, 2014 at 10:40 pm

First, add the Gluconolactone/Sodium Benzoate to room temperature water under high shear for about 5 minutes or so … virtually 99.9% of the powder will go into solution and it may be a little bit hazy.  Then heat to 77C and hold for 20 minutes.  That generally works.

If you’re adding Aloe Vera 200X, first dissolve the Gluconolactone/Sodium Benzoate as described above and then add the Aloe Vera powder as you begin heating up the water.  The end result will be a slightly hazy solution in bulk, but it will appear crystal clear when you bottle it into individual containers.
  • belassi

November 3, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Solubility gluconolactone: Soluble in water (500 g/l) (50%) at 20 °C, alcohol (1g/100g), (1%) and methanol (very slightly). Insoluble in ether, diethyl ether, and acetone.

From which, I deduce that you have alcohol in your product!