Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Skin cold process soap - scrap

• cold process soap - scrap

Posted by Sheng on June 25, 2016 at 12:22 am

we’ve been trying to experiment on how we can recover the scrap on cold process soap. but unfortunately we were unsuccessful. :(
    we have tried to re melt the soap to make a body wash but it exhibits foul odor.
    does anybody here have any idea on how to reprocess scrap on cold process soaps?
    thanks.

chemist77 replied 7 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • belassi

June 25, 2016 at 3:01 am

How did you try to melt it?

• mikethair

June 25, 2016 at 2:09 pm

What we do is put our offcuts through an extended cure period to make sure they are dry, and then put into a blending machine to make into a granule form. These are sold as a washing powder for clothes, and sells VERY VERY well…….we are basically unable to keep up with demand.

• bobzchemist

June 25, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Cured cold process soap can’t be melted - you’ll burn it. You can plod, extrude and stamp-mold it, or you can try to dissolve it in water, or you can grind it like Mike suggests. Otherwise, you should just toss it - soap is cheap.

• belassi

June 25, 2016 at 4:55 pm

It can be done but it needs to be fresh. Microwave. And it ends up like hot process.

• Sheng

June 27, 2016 at 12:28 am

Hello @Bellasi @ Bobzchemist @ Mikethair,
    what i meant by re melt was putting it in water. We wanted to make use of the scrap so we thought to make it as body wash but it produces off smell over time.
    @mikethair, how do you dry? do u put it in oven set at 110C? and then how do you granulates? do you put on hammermill? or can we run it in plodder machine once dried?
    hope to receive feedback from you guys. :)

• belassi

June 27, 2016 at 1:34 am

the smell is because of bacterial growth! Preservative required!

• Sheng

June 27, 2016 at 2:23 am

@Bellasi, yes i added euxyl pe 9010 at 0.80% but it exhibits ” sour” scent after

• bobzchemist

June 27, 2016 at 1:45 pm

For a number of products, Euxyl PE9010 needs to be at 2%. Try it at 1%, !.5%, and 2% to see where your required level is.

• Sheng

June 28, 2016 at 12:05 am

@Bobzchemist ok I’ll try those dosage level.
    thanks

• ozgirl

June 28, 2016 at 12:42 am

Schulke does not list Euxyl PE 9010 on its list of preservatives recommended for rinse off products. It is only recommended for leave on products.

http://www.cosmetic-preservation.com/cosmetic-preservation/en/Applications/Rinse-off.php

http://www.cosmetic-preservation.com/cosmetic-preservation/en/Applications/Leave-on.php

The data sheet for Euxyl PE 9010 does say it can be used with some surfactants but you may be better off looking at other preservatives more suited to your application.

• Sheng

June 28, 2016 at 12:54 am

@ozgirl Euxyl PE 9010 can be used on rinse off products based on their recommendation as below.
    Solutions (e.g. shampoos, bath preparations and hand cleansing preparations)

0.5 - 1.0 %

• belassi

June 28, 2016 at 1:33 am

Solutions (e.g. shampoos, bath preparations and hand cleansing preparations) 0.5 - 1.0 % 
    - Your pH is very different.

• Sheng

June 28, 2016 at 1:40 am

@Bellassi, pH level of our cold process soap is between 8 - 10. and as per their data it is effective up to pH 12.

• ozgirl

June 28, 2016 at 3:12 am

@Sheng I agree that the data sheet does say it can be used but I was pointing out that Schulke doesn’t list it as a preferred option for rinse off products.

• Sheng

June 28, 2016 at 4:59 am

@ozgirl noted better if i change the preservative system to have a better chance of avoiding the “foul” scent. thanks 

• mikethair

June 29, 2016 at 9:18 am

Hello @Sheng …..in response to your queries: 

- how do you dry? do u put it in oven set at 110C?

We just leave it in our tem/humidity controlled soap cure room for a few weeks.

- and then how do
    you granulates? do you put on hammermill? or can we run it in plodder
    machine once dried?

Some improvements required here, but we put it through something like a mincing machine, and then into an electric blender. Not the best, but it works OK, and could be improved.

• Sheng

July 1, 2016 at 1:09 am

@mikethair thank you so much for your replies.
    if i may ask one last question, how is the ratio of the soap bar to powder detergent? can i add 25% of the scrap and mix it with our normal formulated powder detergent? thank you again and looking forward to hear from you.

• mikethair

July 1, 2016 at 9:22 am

Why this recycled soap flakes of ours is so popular (we can never keep up with demand) is that it appeals to those with sensitive skin and allergies to regular soap powder. It defeats the purpose if we start adding powder detergent.

You can see a photo and read more about this product here:   http://indochinenatural.com/shop/eco-friendly-washing-powder-400-grams/

• chemist77

July 29, 2016 at 9:37 pm

If I may ask, how do you compare the cleaning of this natural against the syndets??? Anti-redeposition/anti-encrustation/whitening/low foam-high foam, these parameters are looked into or just sensitive skin tag???
    Since I work with powders and liquids I was thinking if I can really push this concept to the customers in some cases but with all the necessary back-up????