Pressed Glitter

Skosar00Skosar00 Member
edited June 2016 in Formulating
Hi Guys,

I am starting my own glitter company selling loose glitter aswell as pressed. Based in the UK so cosmetic glitter is actually acceptable to sell under EU regulations.

i have a slight question about the formulation of my ingredients for the pressed glitter.

at this moment In time im using 
- 99.9% Isopopropyl Alcohol at 50% (3 parts)
- Vegetable Glycerin at 33.3% (2 parts)
- Aloe Vera gel at 16.6% (1 part)

im also going to include the following preservative
 PHENOXYETHANOL, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, POTASSIUM SORBATE, AQUA, HEXYLENE GLYCOL

However shall I use this at 1% against the weight of the ingredients above including the Aloe Vera gel or shall I scrap the aloe Vera altogether.  

I do do no want too much water in my product so want to reduce the risk of growing mould and bacteria.

i was also want to know what the approx shelf life will be if I add the preservative in.

many thanks in advance

skosar00

Comments

• BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Don't use Aloe at all. Keep as much water as possible out of your product. In fact, I think you should dump the glycerin also, and use an oil instead - you'll have to experiment to find something soluble in Isopropanol.

Shelf life is something that you will have to determine for yourself, or have a lab determine for you.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Hi Bob, 

thanks for for the reply, 

I'll get rid of the aloe... Would the preservatives mentioned above preserve the glycerin well? 
    That's another thing you'll have to determine for yourself - but I doubt that preservative will be soluble in glycerin, which will be a big problem, unless it is soluble in alcohol instead.

There is no substitute for a PET test.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • I've ordered the preservatives and they should be arriving soon.. I'll trial and error to see if preservatives are soluble in alcohol 

many thanks for your help. Really appreciate it 
    I know that there are a bunch of formulas floating around the web using glycerin as a binder for glitter, but I can't think the wear time would be more than an hour or so. If that doesn't bother your customers, fine, but if I were doing this, I'd look closely at silicone technology instead, and give yourself a competitive advantage.
  • Ok...I will most definitely look into this. Most of my money has been invested into larger quantities of the ingredients above. So once I've managed to make money back on this I will hopefully be successful in coming up with a reformulated product