Cyclopentasiloxane and Dimethicone Crosspolymer? Do I need a Preservative?

Hello! 
New...Well not quite new, I've been browsing this forum for quite some time. But this is my first question!

I am making a loose eye shadow containing the following ingredients. Will I need to add a preservative?

Mica
Dimethicone
Isosodecane
Cyclopentasiloxane and Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer
Myristyl Myristate

Thank you for your help :smile: 

Comments

• PS- If so I would be using Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Hexylene Glycol.

I'm just trying to limit ingredient usage.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Same basic rule - unless you're making something for your own personal use that will be kept in a refrigerator and never be used by anyone else, you need a preservative in everything. No exceptions.

Unless, of course, you enjoy being sued...
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    Never limit Ingredient usage at the risk of safety. It is quite easy for an experienced Formulator to identify what ingredients provide a benefit and what is in there for Marketing story. To even consider not using a preservative simply to "limit ingredient usage" is missing the big picture. Don't let Marketing lead your Formulating as the primary factor.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Especially for a product that is supposed to be used around the eye area!
    Using a contaminated product could blind someone.
  • Thank you! Much appreciated. 

• Although your formula has no water doen't mean it has no humidity around. Humidity makes fungi and moulds thrive even if it is only on the surface of a product. Phenoxyethanol/caprylic glycol (Verstatil PC for eg) should be in the formula.