Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating SUNSCREEN

• microformulation

June 5, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Sunscreen oils are neither effective or approved. I have seen some of the fuzzy math used to support the “theoretical” SPF values. The logic is (and please I am spit balling these numbers) “Oil X has an SPF of 3.5, Oil Y has an SPF of 8 and Oil Z has an SPF of 6 so therefore my SPF is 17.5.” Well this is patently flawed as these are projected SPF for the oil at 100% concentration. At best you could project an SPF based upon the percentage used and SPF, similar to the method by which an overall HLB value is obtained from 2 or more emulsifiers.

That said, the above exercise is useless since SPF must be measured by a testing lab not extrapolated.

I guess the answer is you can flavor (did you mean fragrance since this is a topical, not oral dosage form) with anything since it is not a sunscreen either by performance or the legal definition. The oils are not approved under the FDA Sunscreen monograph.

Selling this product with SPF or even as a sunscreen would expose you to liability and scrutiny of the FDA.

• andriannav

June 8, 2016 at 9:05 pm

thanks!!