Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Masters degree to become a cosmetic scientist

• Masters degree to become a cosmetic scientist

Posted by Anonymous on May 14, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Hi all,
    I just finished my bachelors degree in Biochemistry:Cellular Biology. I’m aspiring to become a cosmetic scientist and one day hope to start my own line or work in a fine research/development facility to innovate new products. After searching for several jobs I’ve noticed that I need more studying and have to get my masters degree for many positions out there. I’ve been checking this list from the website (https://chemistscorner.com/cosmetic-science-programs-around-the-world/) and was wondering if there are other options available in general. Any tips or advice that would help my babysteps in this field would be appreciated. Thank you!

Cosmetic Science Programs Around the World

Anonymous replied 7 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • bobzchemist

May 15, 2016 at 3:22 am
  • Anonymous

May 17, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Thank you Bob!

• attapol

May 20, 2016 at 3:21 am

it is not the master degree ,however, the course from SCS Diploma in Cosmetic Science is  very good in my thought.

I have learned from them in 7-8 years ago and it help me a lot to gain cosmetic science knowledge.

• bobzchemist

May 20, 2016 at 2:08 pm

In my opinion, having a Master’s Degree is the best answer for the problem of not having any experience in Cosmetic Chemistry. Trying to get a job with just an undergraduate degree requires that you impress a prospective employer enough to get them to take a chance on someone with unknown skills. This seems to have gotten much, much harder in the last ten years.

Having a Master’s, and even better would be an added internship, allows you to point to your coursework and experiences and be able to say “I’ve done this before, and I was good at it”. To me, that’s a very valuable (and confidence-building) statement to be able to make.

• markbroussard

May 21, 2016 at 1:36 am

The other advantage to getting a MS in Cosmetic Chemistry is that the companies in the industry recruit at these programs and the professors have industry contacts.  Corporations will scout the talent here before looking elsewhere for entry level positions.

• Anonymous

May 25, 2016 at 3:51 am

Thank you Mark and Bob for your advice and encouragement. I have now decided and in progress of searching for an affordable, cost-efficient masters degree program in cosmetic science. As new as the field is, I am hesitant to admit that there are few schools that offer the major. Any suggestions are welcomed and will be greatly appreciated.