Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Good emulsifier to use with sodium carbomer?

• Good emulsifier to use with sodium carbomer?

Posted by beautysci on March 29, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Hi, Does anyone have experience making a O/W emulsion using sodium carbomer as the thickener? I have made completely water based formulas using sodium carbomer and the stability and feel has been good. However, when trying to make a O/W emulsion, the gel breaks soon after emulsification or it breaks when rubbing the finished formula on skin and the product almost just feels like water. I am using a combination of 2.5% Lipomulse 165 and 1% Cetyl Alcohol and 0.5% sodium carbomer. I tried adding the sodium carbomer to just the water and also sprinkling in it after the emulsion was made. Maybe this just isn’t an optimal emulsifier for sodium carbomer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

ozgirl replied 8 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • beautysci

March 29, 2016 at 12:32 pm
    76.03 Deionized Water
    0.5 Sodium Carbomer
    2 Glycerin
    2 Butylene Glycol
    5 Mineral Oil
    5 CCT
    3 Dimethicone @ 350cst
    2 Shea Butter
    2.5 Lipomulse 165
    1 Cetyl Alcohol
    0.9 Euxyl PE 9010
    0.07 Dispersion
  • beautysci

March 29, 2016 at 12:33 pm

I disperse the sodium carbomer in the water. Heat water phase and oil phase separately to 80C. Add oil to water and emulsify. Add dispersion to cool down (for a tinted color). 

• bobzchemist

March 29, 2016 at 2:04 pm

You get to work with some of my favorite emulsifiers - I’m almost jealous. Almost.

My suggestion is to use the Pemulens, specifically TR-1.

Some good information here:
  • ozgirl

March 29, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Have you tried putting the sodium carbomer in the oil phase?

We use a combination of Emulgade PL 68/50 and Eumulgin SG with sodium polyacrylate (all in the oil phase) and it works well.

I would second Bob’s suggestion to look at the Pemulens.

Also Euxyl PE 9010 can cause emulsion instability, so make sure it is not your preservative causing the problem.