Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Formulation safety

• Formulation safety

Posted by Brian86 on March 7, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Hi,

I have made a simple facial serum with the below formulation.
    Aqua 87.6%
    Glycerin 4%
    Niacinamide 2%
    Pentavitin 2%
    Hydrolyzed sodium hyaluronate 1%
    Butylene glycol 0.8%
    Ethylhexylglycerin/ Phenoxyethanol 0.8%
    Sodium Hyaluronate 0.4%
    Pentylene glycol 0.2%
    Allantoin 0.2%

I have tried it on myself and a few other volunteers and it was great. Currently when I am doing a small focus group study, there is a case of sensitivity to the serum and the feedback given was that there was itchness when initially putting on the serum (possibly due to the glycols) and the itchiness persists to the next day even after washing off. This made me suspect that the itchiness could be not due to the said product as it has been washed off.

I would like to know if there is a method to test and ensure that a formulation/ product is free from any sensitivity issues if it is even possible? I do know that there are skin irritation test (animal testing) and skin sensitization test (patch testing) and the newest in vitro testing. Any one with experience with these types of testing who can advise on their efficacy?

Thanks

Brian86 replied 8 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • david

March 7, 2016 at 5:27 pm

I would perform a “professional” dermatological test i.e. a patch testing. Testing on animals is not allowed.

• Brian86

March 10, 2016 at 3:11 am

Thanks David, have you tried the in vitro testing for safery testing before?