Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Styling Gel

• Styling Gel

Posted by Anonymous on March 1, 2016 at 10:55 pm

Good Afternoon. 

Im actually formulating a styling gel ( mid-strong, no flackiness, humidity resistant) with Fixative superhold and a natural insect repellent. 
    The problem I have is when I add the repellent the gel (even though I neutralize the batch to 6.8 in order to help the clarity of the gel) turns white-ish and I cant seem to have a clear gel.
    Any advices?
    Anonymous replied 8 years ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • oldperry

March 2, 2016 at 12:06 am

Are you using a solubilizer like Polysorbate 20 for the insect repellant?  I’m assuming the repellant is an oil.

• ashish

March 3, 2016 at 10:30 am

I do agree with Perry, It may be due to oil soluble perfume or any of the oil ingredients, solubilizer may be needed here like PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil or Polysorbate etc.

• Anonymous

March 17, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Sorry, I forgot to tell that I solubilized the insect repellent in alcohol. I’ve already done the styling gel without the insect repellent and I cant seem to achieve the clearness.

Im doing the gel with the Fixative Freestyle Polymer ( I switched the polymer) ( from Lubrizol) but, when I add the polymer to my formula even though I use a  proper agitation, it cant dissolve. It looks like white strings all over my gel. 
    I’ve also tried presolubilizing the fixative polymer in water, then adding it to my preneutralized gel, but still with the same ending.

Anyone has ever tried this polymers? I’ve read all of the thecnical advices that come in the FTS of the polymer, but no other highlights of important formulation advices.

I dont know what else to do 

:-/

• belassi

March 17, 2016 at 4:39 pm

alcohol is worse than useless for this purpose. Use a solubiliser.

• oldperry

March 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm

It would help if you list all the ingredients you are using.

• bill_toge

March 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm

that sounds to me like the alcohol is causing your Fixate polymer to precipitate

also it doesn’t say a single word about alcohol in the TDS, which suggests that it’s not compatible

• belassi

March 17, 2016 at 9:00 pm

I avoid the use of alcohol completely except as a temporary solvent. Apart from anything else, once in the package, unless the package is airless and the consumer never has to open it, the acohol quickly evaporates and leaves the product useless.

• ashish

March 18, 2016 at 12:41 pm

One of the good solubilizer like Heptyl glucoside can be used, moreover it doesn’t form foam.

• Anonymous

March 18, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Water 39.3g

EDTA  0.2g

Carbopol XTRA 11  0.85g
    Trietanolamine  0.5g
    Alcohol 15g
    Repellent 15g
    Fixative Freestyle 16g
    Water 16g
    Trietanolamine qs ( pH 6.8-7)