hi all

any advise what to use as an anti-flea agent

i want to have an anti-flea character in a pet shampoo

thanks

microformulation replied 7 years, 12 months ago 7 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • bobzchemist

March 1, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Where have you looked so far to try to find this information out by yourself?

• isra

March 5, 2016 at 5:52 am

good morning Mr. 

I read that i could use permthrin but it couldn’t be used on cats 
    i know some oils that act as insect repellent like  Rosemary. citral. orange oil etc
    should i use it???
  • microformulation

March 5, 2016 at 11:29 am

You need to consult someone with veterinary experience. Pets can be seriously harmed by certain raw materials. Again, this is not an area to blindly go forward. Research!

As Bob rightfully points out, the burden of research rests with you ultimately. I do thik that you have a great deal of research to complete before you even consider adding a flea agent safely.

• ozgirl

March 6, 2016 at 9:07 pm

If you add a flea control agent it could make your product a pesticide and it would be subject to pesticide regulations depending on your country.

Be extremely careful with any flea control or essential oils with cats as they do not have the liver enzymes to process these ingredients and it can kill them.

pH is also very important in animal products.

• samf

March 7, 2016 at 10:32 am

Dog Shampoo - boy oh boy what a huge task.  Here are a few things you need to know.

pH should be at 7 (It is a challenge finding the right preservative system).
    You will need to have a spare 20K to register it as a pet medicine.  
    Always use less than 1% essential oils or it will have to be registered as a pet medicine (never ever use eo’s for cat products).  
    Find out if eo’s actually kill the larvae (I doubt it)
    Research like crazy focusing on studies on the raw materials you want to use and their effects on dogs/cats.
    Some eo’s are poisonous for dogs e.g pennyroyal, clove etc. 
    Also heard that dogs react to potassium sorbate (not confirmed as I do not use it).
    A so-called natural flea killer is linalool mixed with d-limonene but an effective dose is way too high to apply topically.
    Good luck
  • isra

March 9, 2016 at 8:38 am

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I AM  THANKFUL 
  • Anonymous

March 26, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Some eo’s are safe for cats.

• DragoN

April 1, 2016 at 8:26 pm

If you are an animal with an exquisite capacity to smell at ppm level …adding essential oils is a form of torture. 

And the pH requirements are not the same as a human. This was answered a couple years ago…is the search not working, or was that lost in the crash? 
  • microformulation

April 1, 2016 at 9:04 pm

I consulted with a Vet Dermatologist on several products. She provided several references stating that canine skin is best suited to a 5-5 to 5.9 pH.

• belassi

April 1, 2016 at 9:46 pm

After checking all the ingredients for canine safety, I use our 0.2% tea tree shampoo on my two spaniels. The female used to get fungal skin problems but since we began using the TTO shampoo, she has been free of problems.

• DragoN

April 2, 2016 at 6:43 am

Canine skin is more alkaline than human skin, with a pH range of 5.5 to 7.2 (,). We have observed even higher cutaneous pH levels on the dorsal thoracolumbar area of dogs, ranging from 6.4 to 9.1 (). In a recent report, the mean pH of canine flank skin was 7.48 (). Canine skin may be more alkaline than previously reported — a discrepancy which could be attributed in part to differences in the methods of pH measurement; sex, breed, coat color, anatomic site, general skin physiology, environmental climate, or geographical location (). Additionally, an increase in cutaneous alkalinity was demonstrated in canine seborrheic dermatitis (). The relative alkalinity of canine skin may be partly responsible for a higher predisposition to cutaneous infections in the dog compared to other species, such as cats or humans.

• belassi

April 2, 2016 at 3:49 pm

If it were important to maintain the skin at the same pH, then humans would suffer whenever they used cold process soap (pH = 10). In fact the acid mantle is restored quite quickly and many people report that their skin is in better condition when natural soaps are used (see the many reports on “black soap” curing skin problems)

• microformulation

April 2, 2016 at 5:54 pm

For intact skin it is really not an issue as the skin is very resilient. In certain disease states where the skin mantle is already compromised, the Dermatologists I consult for will have the patient d/c cold process soaps.

Lastly soaps and Cosmetics don’t “cure” diseases.