Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Perfume storage container

• Perfume storage container

Posted by hades on January 24, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Hi all, I’m new here and I live in a country where it is very hard to get certain items, such as glass bottles for perfumes.  I’ve read glass is the best storage medium for perfume, but was wondering if bottling perfumes in plastic or metal is possible, or if the perfume will go off?

Is there a type of plastic that will help the perfume last longer?  Or a specific metal (e.g. aluminium?) that could be used as an alternate?  Or any other suggestions!

Thank you
    bobzchemist replied 8 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • bobzchemist

January 25, 2016 at 3:37 am

Where is it you live that you can’t find glass boston round bottles, but you do have internet access? I thought they were available everywhere.

• belassi

January 25, 2016 at 5:20 am

Do not bottle perfumes in plastic. Components will migrate through the plastic and evaporate. I imagine that it might be possible to use, say, aluminium bottles, but these tend to be expensive and difficult to source in small quantities.

• hades

January 25, 2016 at 9:16 am

Thank you both.  

@Bobzchemist - my country has very strict import restrictions on glass products and the local manufacturers cannot produce fragrance bottles.  A lot of products here are smuggled/bribed in.
    @Belassi - OK that is good to know, thank you.  I presume there is no type of plastic that would work?  
    There are some people here producing aluminium bottles for other products to potentially speak with.  But they may want larger quantities.  
    Struggling for any other alternatives to glass!
  • bobzchemist

January 25, 2016 at 3:39 pm

It sounds like you’re looking for bottles to sell fragrance in, rather than just store it. For simple storage, a dark boston round glass bottle is fine, and should be dead easy for any manufacturer to produce. http://www.containerandpackaging.com/mobile/item.asp?Item=G141A 

For selling fragrance in, this may not be the best choice. Have you considered Teflon bottles? In the US, this would be an insane choice, because teflon is about 100x the cost of glass. In your country, it might be a viable option.
  • belassi

January 25, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Plastic tends to be attacked by fragrance oils. I suppose there might be some plastics that would resist it - Lexan? But I doubt you would be able to source appropriate bottles in those materials.

• bobzchemist

January 25, 2016 at 9:08 pm