Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair My products is changing colour with time

• My products is changing colour with time

Posted by Johnbright on January 16, 2016 at 11:57 am

Dear All, am John and I need help. which ingredient can I use to stabilize the colour of my formulation? The product in question is a weave spray that contain Nutrilan i, dehyquart A-CA, polysorbate 60 and ethanol. How do I keep the colour stable? It changes when exposed to the weather.

Johnbright replied 6 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • belassi

January 16, 2016 at 5:51 pm

“Nutrilan® I-Powder is a collagen protein hydrolyzate that displays good skin compatibility and improves the dermatological characteristics of anionic surfactants.” (UL Prospector)

- and you are using it with a cationic surfactant. Unless there are other ingredients you haven’t mentioned … this seems like the start point.
  • bill_toge

January 17, 2016 at 11:24 pm

that’d be your Nutrilan I; unless they’re extremely pure, collagen/keratin derivatives are terrible for causing discoloration

• student54

January 18, 2016 at 11:25 am

Does you product change color only when it’s exposed to the weather?  For example, If you keep you product in a clear / transparent glass container, does it change color, also?

Did you check pH of the product on constant Time Interval? For example, weekly for the period of 3 months starting with the Manufacturing Date?
    Does your product have Vitamins and/or Anti-Oxidants?
  • Johnbright

May 10, 2016 at 9:37 pm

The product is packaged in a transparent PET bottle. The product contains Cetrimonium chloride, polysorbate 60 and Nutrilan i 50

• Anonymous

May 11, 2016 at 10:07 am

Try adding chelating agent like edta, works for my formulation…. 

• ashish

May 12, 2016 at 9:31 am

Use benzophenone-4, it would definitely solve your prob.

• Johnbright

July 10, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Thank you Ashish. The  benzophenone worked. Thanks a million.