Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Where and How do I start in developing a cosmetic line?

• Where and How do I start in developing a cosmetic line?

Posted by Anonymous on January 9, 2016 at 12:02 am

I live in Toronto and looking to start my cosmetic line. I initially just want to start of with Lipstick and nail polish, but I have no idea how or where do I even start in this process. All I know I have a very small budget and I am doing this solely. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

bobzchemist replied 8 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • oldperry

January 9, 2016 at 1:12 am

You’ll find our free report helpful.

• microformulation

January 9, 2016 at 4:54 pm

I think I would start with writing a Business plan, developing better funding and perhaps re-evaluating the products you are looking to make as well as reconsidering your decision to do it “solely.”

I work with many start-ups and in general there are two reasons why they can fail. Firstly is being under funded. Developing, manufacturing and properly Marketing a Cosmetic line will take some assets and there are very limited opportunities to avoid these costs. Secondly, start-ups fail due to an unrealistic or poorly developed Sales/Marketing strategy. Many Chemists will tell you pragmatically that proper Marketing of a mediocre product will always win out over the poor Marketing of what could be the best product ever.

Next, Lipsticks and Nail Polishes are very specialized products and one which require significant knowledge and experience. Lipsticks will require the proper base especially in regard hardness and spread ability. Nail polishes could require certain controlled solvents and even the newer “water based” products require some specialized ingredients. Both products will require you to deal with pigments, their proper dispersion and uniformity from batch to batch. Also complicating the issue is the fact that with each product you will need to develop a line of colors, essentially making each color a separate manufacturing event.

So start smart. Write a Business Plan. This will require you to think through budgets and cost projections. Look at your strengths. Chemistry is not a hobby but rather a discipline that requires study and experimentation. Don’t let the current DIY environment online trick you into dismissing the knowledge that a Chemist possesses. Are you a Chemist who needs a Marketer or are you a Marketer who needs a Chemist? Don’t make the mistake of believing that you can fufill both roles effectively, especially as your line grows.

I am not trying to discourage you but to simply put these issues out there. Many of my clients will find that (at least initially) you are best off to look at Private Label products and to use these products to start your line. Many Private Label products are solid formulations which are well designed by Chemists in this specialized area. You are able to purchase smaller quantities of multiple colors which will allow you to have a competetive line.

So in the end, I discourage your from doing this on “a very small budget” and on your own.

• bobzchemist

January 11, 2016 at 2:17 am

Agree with everything Mark said. Also, don’t discount the idea of starting with a single, somewhat unique product - this will allow you to concentrate your limited resources.

• mattu

February 4, 2016 at 3:33 pm

I want to start a cosmetic industry based in Nepal. Pls suggest some chemical suppliers nearby

• bobzchemist

February 4, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Please do your own research, and start a new discussion if you need help.