Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Citrus Essential Oil - Changes Formula Color Over Time

• Citrus Essential Oil - Changes Formula Color Over Time

Posted by ledude on October 29, 2015 at 7:41 pm

I was wondering if anyone has experienced formula color changes with citrus-based essential oils? We have noticed that after about a month or so our cleaning product turns from amber to a reddish-orange. When we removed the citrus-oil we did not get that result. I have seen “de-colorized” versions of citrus oils, but not sure if that would solve the problem. Thanks for any input!

bobzchemist replied 8 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • oldperry

October 29, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Yes, that is a common problem with citrus oil. We just used less of it since it was a claims ingredient and that solved the problem.

• belassi

October 30, 2015 at 1:17 am

Oxidation causes that. I’ve seen it in D-Limonene.

• heraklit

October 30, 2015 at 7:35 am

After about six months, I haven’t see any color change in a shampoo with 0.5% orange oil and 0.1% tocopherol / rosemary antioxidant. Could usual antioxidants solve the problem?
    Also citrus oils are very sensitive and need proper storage.

• bobzchemist

October 30, 2015 at 2:53 pm

We see it all the time here at Beaumont, where we make quite a few citrus-based products. It’s mostly an oxidation problem. You either have to use an anti-oxidant or live with the color change. De-colorized versions only remove a small amount of the problem. It’s possible to color products beforehand to minimize the effect of the color change.

Most of our consumers seem to be OK with the concept that natural-based cleaning products vary in color and/or change color over time, by the way.
  • ledude

October 30, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Great, thank you all!

@Bobzchemist - any suggestion on a good water-soluble anti-oxidant? 
  • bobzchemist

October 30, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Rosamox