ANSI Z400.1-2004 - Material Safety Data Sheets - Testing Labs

MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
Anyone have any recommendations on test labs that conduct testing for MSDS?
Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com

Comments

• ozgirlozgirl Member, PCF student
    What kind of testing do you need for MSDS preparation?
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Mark, I'm guessing that you need data for transportation, like a flash point, possibly VOC content, and some basic physical testing, like pH and specific gravity. I'd recommend Intertek (http://www.intertek.com/
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    @BobZ:

Thanks!  That's what I'm looking for.  Appreciate it!
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • Hi @MarkBroussard and @Bobzchemist !
    Can you please advise if SDSs are required to transport finished goods too or are they only necessary to transport bulk material?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    It's a gray area. As far as I know, they are not strictly required by federal regulation if your products are not hazardous. However, the vast majority of customers (stores, wholesalers, distributors, etc.) require them anyway, as a condition of doing business.

There are a number of services that will prepare SDS's for you. If you can afford it, I'd suggest UL WERCS.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • ozgirlozgirl Member, PCF student
    @SkincareNYC

It depends on the product. Many cosmetics are also considered dangerous goods (e.g. aerosols. flammable liquids) for transport and would definitely require an SDS.

As Bobzchemist has mentioned it is definitely good business practice to have the SDS as you will likely need them at some point. You can usually combine different fragrances of the same product on the one SDS.

Hope this helps.