Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Additive to increase melting point of Shea butter

• Additive to increase melting point of Shea butter

Posted by Oliver on September 16, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Hello,

I just joined so I’m new to this forum. I make Shea butter butters with refined Shea butter, grape seed oil and a fragrance or essential oil. My butters do very well in temperatures of 85 degrees or below. In hot environments, they’ll melt back to a liquid state. I have a very promising opportunity to sell my bug repellent Shea butters in Puerto Rico but the samples I sent to my partner down there melted within a day.

My question is: what additive could I use to increase the melting point so the butters can survive high temps? I was told that Lipid Thix, which is basically a powder vegetable oil, would work. Does anyone know of another solution or will this Lipid Thix work?

Thank you - Oliver

bobzchemist replied 8 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • AuroraBorealis

September 16, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Well, shea butter is meant to melt. It’s a butter after all! 

Try adding hard waxes. Any hard waxes should work. Try beeswax and go from there. 
  • bobzchemist

September 16, 2015 at 8:10 pm

What wax you choose will depend on how natural you need your formula to be. For a natural solution, try Carnauba or Candelilla. Otherwise, use a microcrystalline wax. Cera Bellina might also be worth looking into, for a more unique texture.

• Oliver

September 17, 2015 at 9:46 am

Great. Thank you all for the advice. I’ll give your suggestions a try!

• bobzchemist

September 17, 2015 at 1:54 pm

The more I think about this, the more I’m sure that Cera Bellina will be your best bet.