Additive to increase melting point of Shea butter

Hello,

I just joined so I'm new to this forum. I make Shea butter butters with refined Shea butter, grape seed oil and a fragrance or essential oil. My butters do very well in temperatures of 85 degrees or below. In hot environments, they'll melt back to a liquid state. I have a very promising opportunity to sell my bug repellent Shea butters in Puerto Rico but the samples I sent to my partner down there melted within a day.

My question is: what additive could I use to increase the melting point so the butters can survive high temps? I was told that Lipid Thix, which is basically a powder vegetable oil, would work. Does anyone know of another solution or will this Lipid Thix work?

Thank you - Oliver

Comments

• Well, shea butter is meant to melt. It's a butter after all! 

Try adding hard waxes. Any hard waxes should work. Try beeswax and go from there. 
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    What wax you choose will depend on how natural you need your formula to be. For a natural solution, try Carnauba or Candelilla. Otherwise, use a microcrystalline wax. Cera Bellina might also be worth looking into, for a more unique texture.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Great. Thank you all for the advice. I'll give your suggestions a try!
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    The more I think about this, the more I'm sure that Cera Bellina will be your best bet.

Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."