Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Skin Keep coconut oil in liquid form

Tagged: 

• Keep coconut oil in liquid form

Posted by DaveS on August 13, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Hello! Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep coconut oil from solidifying? Coconut oil above 75 degrees is liquid and hardens at temperatures below that. Would really like to keep it all natural and organic if possible. Winter is right around the corner! Thank you.

oldperry replied 4 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • oldperry

August 13, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Store it in a stability oven set at 75 degrees.

• belassi

August 14, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Just melt it as necessary.

• bobzchemist

August 14, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Are you trying to make a consumer product, or just to keep it liquid for easy processing?

• chemist77

August 14, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Adding to what has been correctly suggested thus far, either you can add little olive oil or have to find a grade with a very low lauric acid content and which is I suppose is a tad too difficult.

• oldperry

August 14, 2015 at 5:13 pm

The one problem with storing it as a solid and remelting it is that if you don’t throughly mix it every time you could be pulling out a non-homogenous sample and changing the composition slightly every time.

• DaveS

August 16, 2015 at 12:01 am

Thank you for the suggestions. Melting as necessary as been the protocol so far. Making a consumer product is the goal.

• bobzchemist

August 16, 2015 at 2:11 am

For a consumer product, you’re going to have to blend it with another organic oil.

• DaveS

August 16, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Blending with another organic oil looks like the only viable option. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

• Anonymous

May 9, 2019 at 12:52 am

What should the ratio be for blending another organic oil with the coconut oil? I’d like to use as little as possible.

• oldperry

May 13, 2019 at 12:14 pm

@Journeys - I’d suggest you start a new discussion. Click on the button on the right column. You’ll also need to provide more detail in your question to get a good response. (e.g. what kind of product are you trying to make?)