Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Removing deodorant and/or anti-perspirant from underarms

• Removing deodorant and/or anti-perspirant from underarms

Posted by mikebavington on February 19, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Is there another solvent of equal effectiveness to ethanol that removes deodorant remnants from the underam?

Thanks

bobzchemist replied 10 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • bobzchemist

February 20, 2014 at 10:11 am

Brillo?

Seriously, you’d have to test, but something like propanediol might work.
  • mikebavington

February 20, 2014 at 10:38 am

Yes. I put deodorant into shot glasses yesterday and started adding different ingredients to see which one would dissolve or soften the deodorant over time.

Hydrogen Peroxide performed the best of the ingredients I did test, but i didnt have propanediol to compare.

I will try to get my hands on citrus derived ingredients as well and see if those work.

• Ayla

February 20, 2014 at 10:47 am

Just curious : what for ?

• mikebavington

February 20, 2014 at 10:55 am

Develop a product that allows one to remove deodorant from underarms while in shower.

• Ayla

February 20, 2014 at 11:03 am

Isn’t a shower gel enough ? (now I’m feeling stupid)

• mikebavington

February 20, 2014 at 11:06 am

In my experience, deodorant is hard to remove from the underarms.

• bobzchemist

February 20, 2014 at 11:12 am

Mike,

You probably need to test what dissolves or softens the deodorant/antiperspirant residue, rather than the finished product, that way you’ll eliminate any problems with co-solvent effects.
    Be careful with things like limonene, orange oil, etc., especially at 100% strength. From personal and plant experience, I know that they can be extremely irritating to the skin, even when washed off fairly quickly.
    @Ayla does bring up a good point, though - I’d think that most people would consider soap, etc to do a good enough job, no?
    Bob