Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Mixing, adding, combining, joining - what’s standard nomenclature for describing formulation methods

• Mixing, adding, combining, joining - what’s standard nomenclature for describing formulation methods

Posted by zink on May 30, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Having clear and unambiguously described formulation methods is extremely important when working with contract manufacturers to ensure they make samples similar to your own prototypes (some use their own preferred methods whatever you tell them, but that’s another question).

When mixing together components of a phase in order under e.g. low rpm paddle mixing, do you say “Mix phase A ingredients in order under 300 rpm paddle mixing” or “Combine…” or “Blend…” or “Add together…”.

Then when combining two phases, do you then use mix, blend, combine etc.

zink replied 8 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • davidw

May 31, 2015 at 3:18 am

Personally I would say “add” for chemicals of the same phase
    To combine phases I would say something like:
    “Add phase A to phase B slowly while mixing at ____ rpm.

But really the best thing to do regardless if you are worried is review the procedure with your manufacturer on the phone.

• chemicalmatt

June 2, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I’ll echo David’s advice and add another: be clear about order of addition.  I always draft my compounder processing instructions with “Add - in order - Items #3, #4,…”  This can prevent a lot of quality issues whenever this is critical.

• zink

June 5, 2015 at 7:18 pm

@DavidW not really worried, just wondering if there’s a generally normal/accepted nomenclature :)

@chemicalmatt that makes sense, also in cases where the order makes a difference, but you don’t know it yourself (you just know that the order you add the raw materials in works).