Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Want improvements in handwash formula

• Want improvements in handwash formula

Posted by Chirag on May 30, 2015 at 5:49 am

Hi, i have been trying to creat liquid hand wash..and i have prepared a hand wash with following ingredients in listed proportion-
    Aqua. 300ml
    SLES 150ml
    SLS. 10gm (powder)
    Cmc. 10gm. (Powder)
    cocamide DEA 9ml
    CAPB. 30ml
    Egms. 9 gm
    Glycerin. 9ml
    Nacl. 5 gm
    Colour and perfume. (In small pro.)

Would you please suggest if there is any possibility to improve its detergency, sudsing, conditioning, moisturising effects ?

Chirag replied 8 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • bobzchemist

May 31, 2015 at 2:16 am

Is there some reason that you can’t design and run the experiments yourself?

• sattar

June 1, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Egms?? 

• Chirag

June 2, 2015 at 6:20 am

Sattar egms stands for Ethelene glycol mono stearate

• Chirag

June 2, 2015 at 6:24 am

Bobzchemist sir i have tried the upermentioned formula. I know that there may be possibilities of improvements by varying te quantity of any chemical listed above.. But i want to know if there is another chemical that can give me the desirable results.

• bobzchemist

June 2, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Yes, there are a great many. No one chemical can do everything you are requesting, though. Do some research, and I’d be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

• Chirag

June 4, 2015 at 5:26 am

I have used CMC in my formulation. I have noticed that it Takes long time in dissolving in water. Would anyone suggest me any idea for the uper mentioned purpose. Also, same thing i have noticed with SLS POWDER.

• rosabell

June 4, 2015 at 6:24 am

hi shirag what you can do is dissolve in glycerin  or any oil the CMC   and sls (depends on what grade ur sls is) and than u mix. anyway CMC is a thickning agent   and makes ur soap cloudy. you dont need CMC to thicken  you need to correct your formula  sles and water and you will get a thick soap sir

• Chirag

June 4, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Rosabell yes CMC does make it cloudy. Actually i wanted to use HPMC but as i dint get it at my location, i was guided to use cmc instead. As hpmc has exceptional properties in liquid soap, so… Any way thanks

• rosabell

June 4, 2015 at 6:10 pm

but y do u need to add CMC to ur formula? is it to thicken it?

• Chirag

June 5, 2015 at 7:50 am

@rosabell i used CMC to boost foam and make foam denser. I took 9 ml glycerin and then I dissolved 20gm of SLS powder then i added sles and water but still there were lumps of SLS powder… What should i do.. Any suggestion would be welcomed.

• bill_toge

June 5, 2015 at 8:16 am

CMC doesn’t boost foam like HPMC does; if anything, it’s more likely to kill it

• Chirag

June 5, 2015 at 8:36 am

Oho thnk you Bill_ toge sir

• Chirag

June 8, 2015 at 6:03 pm

I have used Glycerin but it is soluble in water so it may Be washed away with water. Can i use any oil to give moisturizing effect. What is OLIVE OIL used for in hand senitizers ?
    Can glycol stearate can be used to provide moisturizing effect ?

• Chirag

July 11, 2015 at 10:36 am

I have been getting problem in dissolving SLS powder in above mentioned formula.. Would anyone plz suggest me any solution… Should i use any other surfactant in combination with SLES or should i change the combination completely…
    Any help would be appreciated … Thanks

• microformulation

July 11, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Why not obtain and use a commercially available 30% solution of SLS instead?

• Chirag

July 26, 2015 at 11:49 am

Microformulation Thanks very much for your suggestion. I am in discussion to obtain it….