Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Preservative for Shampoos, Body Wash and Conditioner

Tagged: 

• Preservative for Shampoos, Body Wash and Conditioner

Posted by ozgirl on May 19, 2015 at 11:19 pm

I am considering changing the preservative in our Shampoos, Body Wash and Conditioner. We are currently using Kathon CG (isothiazolinone  preservative) alone and in combination with another preservative depending on the product but want to move away from the isothiazolinone preservatives.

Two of the products that have been suggested to us are Schulke’s Euxyl K701 (Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid and Ethylhexylglycerin) and Inolex’s Spectrastat (Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol and Glycerin).

http://www.schuelke.com/download/pdf/cint_len_Euxyl_K_701_prod.pdf
    http://www.inolex.com/product-category/spectrastat%E2%84%A2

Has anyone had any success (or failure) with either of these preservative systems in these type of products. If anyone has any tips for how to successfully use these preservative systems it would be most appreciated.

Some of our products contain hydrolysed wheat proteins so I am not sure if this will cause any issues.

Any feedback/suggestions would be most appreciated.

ozgirl replied 8 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • markbroussard

May 20, 2015 at 12:15 am

If you have any Polysorbates in your formulation, it will inactivate the Phenoxyethanol, but either of your two choices should work just fine.

• ozgirl

May 20, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Thanks @MarkBroussard for the reminder about the polysorbates.

Has anyone tried these preservative systems (or similar) with hydrolysed wheat proteins? 

• belassi

May 21, 2015 at 3:31 pm

I’ve tried Spectrastat in shampoo. It had an adverse effect on foam. I find 0.5% sodium benzoate effective (pH = 4.5)

• ozgirl

May 21, 2015 at 10:18 pm

@Belassi Thanks for the information. I didn’t even think about it having an effect on the foaming.

I am still waiting for for my samples.

• davidw

May 21, 2015 at 10:20 pm

I haven’t used those but I can tell you that Germall Plus liquid will work nicely. 

• ozgirl

May 21, 2015 at 10:28 pm

@ DavidW Thanks for the suggestion but we are also trying to stay away from parabens and formaldehyde releasers because these products are aimed at the natural market.