3 - Procter & Gamble
    4 -  Estée Lauder
    5 - Shiseido
    6 - Beiersdorf
    7 - Avon
    8 - Chanel
    9 - Johnson & Johnson
    10 - Kao Corporation.

Curious note: Korean companies are quickly going to the top 10. AmorePacific already is the 14 (aims to be the 10 already next year and 5 in 2020). LG already is the 20. 
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Thanks for the update!

I'd be curious to see what they count in terms of sales.  It is surprising to me that L'Oreal is above Unilever and P&G.  Both of those are much larger companies.

• pmapma Member
    Perry: that's due the fact their study only counts cosmetics. P&G and Unilever are bigger if you also count their food, diaper business etc.
  • pmapma Member
    edited May 2016
    Now there are the results for 2015:

1 - L'oréal +12.1%
    2 - Unilever +13.2%
    3 - Procter & Gamble -11,1%
    4 -  Estée Lauder +1%
    5 - Shiseido +10.4%
    6 - Beiersdorf +7.1%
    7 - Johnson & Johnson -7%
    8 - Chanel +1%
    9 - Avon -17.5%
    10 - Kao+3%

Avon declined a lot in 2015 (-17,5%/sales). On the other hand, AmorePacific jumped to #12 position (+22,8%) and LG to #19 (+27,3%/sales). 
  • BelassiBelassi Member
    Damn, I missed getting in again. LOL
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
    P&G slipped this year due to selling off brands right?
  • pmapma Member
    @Perry: yes. And the strategy of focusing on its core brands (Olay, SK-II etc.) is working, because their profits are increasing. The president of P&G beauty said it was a mistake the acquisition of many beauty brands some years ago:

http://wwd.com/beauty-industry-news/beauty-features/masahiko-uotani-global-forum-wwd-beauty-ceo-summit-10428012/

Avon, on the other hand, is suffering from a lot of problems. Some say they even can bankrupt:

http://www.economist.com/sites/default/files/avon_w_school.pdf
  • BelassiBelassi Member
    @pma: Many thanks for the links! Good to know Avon are in trouble, they are no. 1 in Mexico according to the Euromonitor reports, and Mary Kay presumably should also be having problems if the reasons given in The Economist are correct.
    I also noted this: "Customers no longer order through catalogues." In which case I wonder why the hell Lush (Canada) produces an 83-page full colour catalogue that resembles a large format novel. (Lush's prices for some products are insane. Who pays $44 for a 500mL shampoo?)
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.

Who pays $44 for a 500mL shampoo?

People you want as customers!
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    edited June 2016
    @Belassi has a taken a special shine for LUSH it seems. 
  • pmapma Member
    Significant changes in the 2016 list... Now, the top 10 of the world are:

1 - L'oréal;
    2 - Unilever;
    3 - Procter & Gamble;
    4 - Estée Lauder;
    5 - Shiseido;
    6 - Beiersdorf;
    7 - Amorepacific;
    8 - Kao;
    9 - LVMH;
    10 - Coty.

The Korean Amorepacific is in the top 10 for the first time. Soon we may see another Korean company in this list: LG. K-beauty is becoming really huge... 
    Very interesting changes.