Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Most effective anti itch ingredients? OTC/Non OTC

• Most effective anti itch ingredients? OTC/Non OTC

Posted by zink on May 14, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Thinking particularly for atopic dermatitis, the FDA has approved some OTC drug ingredients for this use and there are also non approved topicals available that could help, but I’m have little experience with this so and suggestions would be appreciated. Fine with either making an OTC drug or non-drug formula.

FDA Approved and regulated topicals
    1. Menthol (Counterirritant) <= 1%
    2. Camphor (Counterirritant) <= 11%
    3. Hydrocortisone (Corticosteroids) 0.5 - 1%
    4. Lidocaine (Local Anesthetic) <= 5%

Non approved topicals
    1. Burow’s solution, an astringent aqueous solution of aluminium acetate, is shown to soothe and to relieve itching.
    2. Olive oil
    3. Calamine lotion, containing zinc oxide and iron(III) oxide, is a traditional remedy for mild itching, such as that typically associated with chicken pox – although the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has asserted that it has little if any effect.
    4. Paste of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and water, applied topically.
    5. Ammonium hydroxide (household ammonia), applied topically can relieve some kinds of insect stings which itch, such as mosquito bites, by neutralizing an acid component of the sting.
    6. Papain-based topical creams.
    7. Coal Tar.
    8. Vitamin B12.
    zink replied 8 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • belassi

May 14, 2015 at 5:11 pm

I am very surprised you didn’t mention urea.

• zink

May 14, 2015 at 6:07 pm

It’s not an exhaustive list :)

• thefeelion

May 15, 2015 at 1:41 am

Not sure if this will help you, but it could be worth a look…

http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/treatment.html

• zink

May 22, 2015 at 1:57 am

Don’t think that helps much, still looking for advice, I guess it’s time to ask eczema prosumers?

• perspicacious

May 22, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Take a look at pramoxine hydrochloride. It’s a very good topical analgesic. Combine that with camphor and conventional moisturizers and you are on your way to a soothing preparation.

• markbroussard

May 23, 2015 at 12:12 am

There’s also Anti Monkey Butt Powder with Calomine

• zink

May 25, 2015 at 3:56 am

So using pramoxine hydrochloride I’d have to get a contract manufacturer to make it and do a FDA new drug registration I believe, but where do people source this? China?