Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Sugar Scrub

• Sugar Scrub

Posted by rldabush on May 6, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Hi Everyone, 

Im new to the site so this is my first discussion post. Although I have definitely read through a lot of the other discussion posts. Im hoping someone might be able to help me out. I am currently working on a foaming sugar scrub. The problem that I am facing is that the sugar doesnt stay stabilized within the scrub and instead falls to the bottom. The product also needs to be natural and abide by the whole food premium list, which limits the ingredients I am able to include to help stabilize the system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 
    The current formula I am working with is:
    25.75% Glycerin
    10% CocoBetaine
    10% Decyl Glucoside
    0.5% Shea Oil
    1% Coconut Oil
    1% Fragrance
    51% Sucrose
    0.75% Phenoxyethanol
    -Liat
    rldabush replied 8 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • bobzchemist

May 6, 2015 at 3:46 pm

In formulas like this, there usually aren’t stabilizers/suspending ingredients. You just have to put in enough sugar that there’s no room for it to fall to the bottom. The larger the sugar crystals are, the easier this is.

• erindlea

May 8, 2015 at 1:01 pm

My sugar scrub formula has almost the exact ingredient list as yours, but I use more sugar and less glycerin. My goal when formulating this particular scrub was to have a solid to liquid ratio that was high enough to prevent a liquid layer from forming above the sugar. The end result looks similar to this: http://bathhousesoap.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Lavender-Body-Scrubs.jpg

• rldabush

June 11, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Thank you for the help. Ive actually changed the formula a bit. I am now using a natural surfactant that is in powder form. I am very pleased with the result thus far