Shampoo CMC with no salt

Greetings,

Im trying to make a basic shampoo with no salt, using Carboxymethylcellulose as thickerner agent, my problem is leaves the hair harden, i dont know if it because the CMC, current formula:

SLES 70%: 10%
Cocoamide DEA 3%
CMC 1,2%
Sodium benzoate 0,35%
glicerin 2%
PPG 1%
fragance
water

Comments

• AylaAyla Member
    Try it without the CMC and see !
  • Thanks :D, my problem is that i dont have another thickener available that suits with SLES.
  • KirkKirk Member
    Try Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum.
    Formulator. Currently specializes in formulating natural cosmetics.
  • Thanks Kirk, i just bought Guar gum, and going to try tomorrow.

Btw its cocoamide DEA neccesary in my formulation?, i mean im ussing it thinking that its going to help in flash foam generation, but im not ussing it as thickener.
  • AylaAyla Member
    You don't really have to thicken it just to try it...
  • The Cocamide DEA is not usually regarded as a thickener itself. It shifts the salt thickening curve sideways allowing a smaller amount of salt to be used to thicken. It reinforces foaming which is good because your SLS percentage is not very high. Add betaine to thicken.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • I made   multpurpose liquid soap . Following are the ingredients. 
    Sles,salt,sodium hydroxide, sulphonic acid,cocoamide dea,  color and scent.feed back from customers that it is not best for tiles .please which ingredient can i add in my formulae for cleaningtiles Or removing tile grout. 

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    You don't actually need a thickener for your system.

Create a formula without the thickener and without salt. Then run a salt curve analysis (using Sodium Chloride). This will tell you how much salt you need to achieve the viscosity you want.

Note: Your Sodium Benzoate can also affect the salt curve.
  • em88em88 Member
    3 yr old thread spotted. 
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    edited April 2018
    Goodness @isaiah, cannot you start a new thread. Is it really necessary to insert your query in a 3 year old thread. 
    Coming back yo your Multi-purpose cleaner liquid, get rid of all those if your benchmark is like Mr. Muscle or something similar. You need a nonionic like an APG, another co- surfactant from Berol range of Akzo like Berol 260, a chelant, an ether like Dowanol PnB and you are good to go. Keep the pH on higher side just in case. Don’t forget the preservatives.
    PS: your anionics are going to leave a residue on the tiles and no one would like streaks on tiles.
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    Throw in upto 1% Benzalkonium Chloride and you have an anti-bacterial cleaner which can be diluted in various proportions depending on the need. 
  • i feel flattered, someone found my 3 yr old thread.
  • em88em88 Member
    Have you resolved the issue? :smile: