Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Depilatory Cream & Lotions formulation required

• Depilatory Cream & Lotions formulation required

Posted by Anonymous on February 5, 2014 at 10:30 am

Dear all friends. please help me to have the most effective formula for hair removing cream and lotion, which shelf life is longer and no toxic smell, and easy to make. I have some, but some of them make reaction on skin… so please any one can help me in this.

shahbaz replied 10 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • bobzchemist

February 5, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I don’t think what you are asking for is possible.

• vitalys

February 5, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Bobzchemist, I do agree. All those formulations and products are strong keratolytics based on acids or bases. The skin irritation is almost inevitably and it depends on time of exposure, concentration of actives etc. The better hair removing effect - the higher risk of the skin irritation.

• mikebavington

February 5, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Maybe you could develop a cream to apply after debilatory application. You could include anti-irritant or soothing ingredients, such as: 

Petrolatum (occlusive, reduces water loss through skin - TWEL)
    Panthenol (anti-inflammatory, humectant)
    Menthol (cooling)
    Polyhexanide (antimicrobial, reduces pain/discomfort)
    Xylitol (humectant, antimicrobial)
    Bisabolol (anti-redness)
    Etc.

• shahbaz

February 6, 2014 at 12:54 pm

@Shah, you here are few suggestions for you, hope they might help you;

• For reduced irritation use Ca and potassium salts of TGA instead of its Na salt, the downside is Ca and K salts are not as efficient as Na salt of TGA .
    • Use D.I. water and EDTA for more stability.
    • Use urea for hair shaft swelling and SLS in small quantity for even application and sebum removal on hair for better efficacy of depilatory. Beaware! SLS is renowned skin irritant!!!
    • Use purest grades of TGA and alkalies available in market.
    • Use PG,  mineral oil and Aloe vera exract.
  • davidw

February 17, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Basically you are asking people here who may make their living developing formulas to give you the best depilatory on the market for free.  This is afar different from asking for help with a problem formulation.  I would suggest contacting some of the great chemists you have on this board and pay them for their services.

• chemicalmatt

February 18, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Shah,

I’ll second David’s comment.  We don’t mind giving advice here, that’s an altruistic pursuit.  But to shell out a working formula is asking for a lot. Shahbaz has already supplied you with a LOT of helpful information; you can take it from there.

Note to Shabaz: SLS vs. Thioglycolic acid in the Skin Irritation Contest, Thio always wins! Nobody will notice the SLS while their skin is being dissolved by the thio along with their hair.

• shahbaz

February 19, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Matt, you are saying right.