Profile pictures are back!

I've finally figured out how to restore the pictures. If you don't have a profile pic or want to change yours, feel free to go to your profile and add a picture.

Mineral oil

what will be the best substitute for Mineral oil to maintain texture of Creams? 
Look for good suggestions. thanks

Comments

• The first question for you is why you want to stop using mineral oil? (If you want to stop using petrochemicals, for example, it would be silly for me to recomend a different petrochemical)
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Thanks Bob. Customers are rejecting Mineral Oil in the formulation/packaging labels as they are taught this is not healthy to skin, pores get stuck with it. they want products free of Mineral oil. will CETYL ETHYLHEXANOATE be a good substitute?
  • If you're just doing this for consumer concern, then cost will probably be a big issue. Mineral Oil is probably the cheapest oil on the planet, so you are going to have to be careful - most substitutes are at least 3 times the cost. I'd look in to other petrochemicals first - polyalphaolefins, polyisobutenes, hydrogenated polyisobutene, maybe even polybutylene glycol.

If you are trying to maintain the same skin feel as mineral oil, then CETYL ETHYLHEXANOATE (SCHERCEMOL™ CO) will not be a good choice. Oddly enough, it's because that ester is a better ingredient - it has a much nicer, dryer, non-oily skin feel than mineral oil.

If I were you, I would take this opportunity to pitch the idea of making a better, more elegant-feeling product while you have to change out the mineral oil anyway. It's actually a much harder project to match the performance/feel of mineral oil than it is to improve the performance/feel of mineral oil.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • What about vegetable glycerine?

Won't it be a good substitute?
  • Glycerine being a polar ingredient I don't think will give the result. The CO ester is at the wrong end of the table, it's too light. Maybe Schercemol 1688 or ICS. I've got some SHS here and it certainly leaves an oily film on the skin like mineral oil would but it's semi-solid.
    Special interests: anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; sulphate-free shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics.