Profile pictures are back!

I've finally figured out how to restore the pictures. If you don't have a profile pic or want to change yours, feel free to go to your profile and add a picture.

Making a stock mix of the oils phase for later lotion-making

Aloha,

I made a largish batch of all the oils, thickener, emulsification wax, beeswax etc. etc that's in my oils phase of a particular recipe of mine. I melted everything down and then poured it into a cleaned jar. All the e-wax and thickening stearic acid & beeswax were melted and everything looks homogeneous.  The oil phase mix is now in the fridge. 

Can anyone anticipate that this will cause me a problem, when I decide to make the cream?

Of course I will be heating this oil phase & the water phase as usual, separately, in a water bath set-up.

Thanks for any thoughts you pass my way. 

Comments

• The idea behind this is to reduce measuring time? I'm not sure I would want to include the emulsifier.
    Special interests: anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; sulphate-free shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics.
  • Yes, to save time is why I did this. Plus, to have fewer bottles of oils in my fridge ;). After I made the batch I realized I should have asked the chemists corner folken if this was smart or styoooopid to do. 
  • I don't see any problems with what you did, regarding making the product. I do, though, see other problems that would stop me doing the same. For instance:
    1. shelf life. Some oils last a year or even more. Others barely make it to three months. Your mix will have a shelf life equal to the least stable oil.

2. I use my range of lipids to make many different products, I need to keep them separate for that reason.

You have set me thinking though. I might make a standard combination for CP soap; using the oils that are stable of course, such as coconut, palm, shea butter, high-oleic rapeseed oil.
    Special interests: anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; sulphate-free shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics.
  • Nothing wrong with this approach at all @Margreat.

I do it all the time.  With oil blends, best if you add 1% Vitamin E (tocopherol acetate is just fine) and/or 1% Rosemary CO2 Extract to your oil blend to prevent rancidity and extend your overall shelf life to 1 year or so.  Like @Belassi siad, I would not include the emulsifiers.

I also make stock solutions of various base ingredients that I use in all of my formulations.  Just make sure you add preservative to any aqueous stock solutions you make.

Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused on products for acne-prone and problematic skin conditions. 

Provides Formulation Development and Lab-Scale Contract Manufacturing Services.  See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • I have used my stock oils mix to make a cream and a lotion and both have worked very well, and are not separating after 2 months of having made them. 
    However, for sake of ease, next time I will EXCLUDE the stearic acid, since it made my lotion a bit too thick, still usable, but not thin enough for a pump bottle. 
     I'll just add either  stearic acid or cetyl alcohol to the stock oils mix, depending on whether I'm making a cream or a lotion. 
    Thanks everyone for your input!