Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Egg Yolk in Shampoo

• Egg Yolk in Shampoo

Posted by chemist77 on March 12, 2015 at 6:41 am

As stupid as it may sound but I would like to ask the learned members if it is possible to add egg yolk in a shampoo formula which is basically hot process having SLES/MEA Lauryl Sulfate/Disodium Lauroamphoacetate/Cocamide MEA/Ceteareth-20/Dimethiconol & TEA Lauryl Benzene Sulfonate/Cetearyl Alcohol/Glycol Distearate/Cellulose/PQ 10/EDTA/Kathon CG and fragrance. 

I am a bit reluctant because
    1. It already has 2 conditioners, Polyquat 10 and Dimethiconol with the surfactant
    2. I am not sure how it’s going to behave in the already stabilized formula ( that can be checked too)
    3. Last but not the least the smell and the superbly enhanced chances of microbial contamination. 
    Since I have no choice but to give in to the customer’s demand, what can I do to avoid the smell and the extreme possibility of contamination??? Should I increase the preservative or should there be another ingredient to retard the microbial growth?? For masking the smell I am thinking of upping the dosage of fragrance from 0.3 to 0.6% (I would check the scalp irritation though).
    Any insight would be of great help.
    chemist77 replied 9 years ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • belassi

March 12, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Well, 0.6% fragrance is still not a lot - I use 1% in my shampoos - so that seems a good idea.

The smell, due to the fact that eggs have a lot of sulphur, I can’t see it working with florals, you’re going to have to go herbals I think. As for preservation, you’re going to have to use all the routes; beginning with a suitably low pH. I think I would want the customer to sign a disclaimer regarding shelf life.
  • chemist77

March 12, 2015 at 3:34 pm

@Belassi Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I am definitely going to adopt them though just wanted to know the reason of sulphur not going with florals but with herbals. Is it the strong herbal notes that you are referring to or chemical incompatibility of florals??? 

• belassi

March 12, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Just the smell, nothing to do with chemical problems, although since you mention it that would be a concern too. I’d want to do some research into egg yolk and its breakdown products. And someone said on a forum: “I’m always terrified to try hair masks with eggs in them because the first and only time I did that, I forgot about the egg and when I hopped in the shower and turned on the hot water, THE EGG COOKED IN MY HAIR”

• bobzchemist

March 12, 2015 at 4:30 pm

The PCPC Buyers guide presents some alternatives: (which brings up the question - do you have to use chicken eggs?)

Search for “egg”, ignore the results using “eggplant”

• chemist77

March 12, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Thanks everyone for your great inputs. @Belassi you r always bang on money with a great humor .
    @Bobzchemist I would definitely look into it, thanks again.
    Shall definitely post the results once I am done.

• pma

March 15, 2015 at 3:10 am

Egg yolk is just for marketing claim, right? So you can use a “homeopathic dose” that almost won’t do any difference in your formula.  Something about 0,00001%. 

• chemist77

March 15, 2015 at 4:01 am

@pma Thanks for your suggestion but I suppose Bobzchemist mentioned me some PCPC source and I found a good one, Kewpie.