Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Clear Silicone Emulsion/Gel

• Clear Silicone Emulsion/Gel

Posted by ledude on March 4, 2015 at 10:13 pm

I am trying to create a very simple clear silicone/water emulsion that has a gel-like consistency. The product needs to be clear. I have been experimenting with some Acrylic Acid (Acusol 820) with some success, but it’s not 100% clear. Anyone have any suggestions on good emulsifier/thickener combos? 

Thanks.
    chemist77 replied 9 years ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • belassi

March 4, 2015 at 10:19 pm

I’d use a water-dispersible silicone instead, such as Silsense DW-18, with a standard carbomer such as Ultrez-20 or 940, depending on the sensorial desired. Problem solved.

• Lara

March 5, 2015 at 5:13 am

I ve worked with a Dow corning product - silicone elastomer blend 9040. For clearness you have to watch out for the polarity of the oils you add. I dont like it so much due to its strong inherent odour.
    Dow already developed elastomer blends not containing cyclomethicone. Im curious when i will get my sample:)
    In the datasheet they say the product is not as sensible for the polarity. May be also the odour is not so worse.

• MakingSkincare

March 5, 2015 at 12:32 pm

NuSil sell a range of Caresil ES encapsulated silicones - elastomer gels encapsulated into hydrophilic gels.  You’ll need to mach the refractive index to get transparency but they can guide you on that.

Message me if you’d like me to send you the suppliers details.

• chemist77

March 6, 2015 at 6:13 am

Try DC Elastomer 7040 with little dimethicone and cyclomethicone the water phase will have water, glycerin and sodium chloride add slowly try to match the refrective indices of both phases and voila a clear silicone gel emulsion